Event Safety: New Purse/Bag Policy
Purpose: In an effort to enhance public safety, Edgewood ISD will introduce a new Purse/Bag policy that will be used during special/athletic events. This policy is for the safety of our students, staff, and patrons. The Edgewood ISD Purse/Bag policy is similar to the ones used by surrounding school districts and large venues within the City of San Antonio.
Guidelines: This new policy will be introduced in phases:
Phase 1: Athletic Events at Stadium
Phase 2: Athletic Events at Campuses
Phase 3: Events at Fine Arts Academy
1. What happens if a guest shows up at the gate with a bag that is not permitted?
Guest will not be allowed to enter the venue and will be asked to return items to their vehicle.
2. What about diaper bags?
Items must now be carried in a clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, is allowed to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse to all EISD facilities.
3. What about grocery bags?
Grocery bags, plastic or otherwise, are not permitted.
4. Can guest bring stadium seats and chairbacks?
Guests are permitted to bring in their own stadium seats or chairbacks providing the seat does not have any pockets or zippers and does not exceed 12x12x6 inches.
5. Why has this bag policy been adopted?
The safety of guests and EISD community is of utmost importance. Limiting the size and style of bags will enhance public safety at EISD events and gets guests into the venue more quickly.
6. How does this policy improve public safety?
The clear bag is easily and quickly searched and greatly reduces faulty bag searches. It also supports the Department of Homeland Security’s “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign.
7. Are all purses prohibited?
No. Small clutch purses, with or without a handle or strap, and wallets are permitted as long as they do not exceed 8.5x5.5 inches.
8. How many bags can each person bring into the venue?
Guests may bring multiple clear bags into the venue.
9. If I have certain medical items or equipment that I need to bring into the venue for medical reasons and they won’t fit in the clear bag, what do I do? An exception will be made for medical necessities after proper inspection at a specified gate designated for this purpose. There will be a separate entrance to allow screening of these medically necessary items.
Edgewood ISD continuously monitors its safety procedures, evolving where needed to provide the best service possible to our students, staff, and community.