Course Description: This course will provide students with the skill development in basic principles relating to Earth Science by focusing on concepts about earth and space. This course is aligned to the 2010 Science TEKS. Students will be exposed in the study of a variety of topics including Matter and Energy, Force and Motion, Earth and Space, Organisms and Environments, and Scientific Investigation and Reasoning. We will integrate and revisit 6th and 7th grade TEKS into ours lesson to prepare the students for the upcoming Science STAAR Test.
(1) Arrive to class on time, ready to learn and have all materials.
(2) Show respect for themselves, other students, teachers, and the entire school.
(3) Complete all assignments either in the classroom and/or for homework.
(4) Participate and interact in the learning classroom.
Classroom Discipline: Disruption of class time will not be tolerated. Students who insist upon disrupting the teaching and learning environment will face the consequences of their decisions. Disciplinary measures will include: student conference, phone call to parents, after-school detention in the classroom, lunch detention, School or Team OCS, and/or DAEP. All disciplinary problems will be reported home to a parent/guardian either by phone call, letter, or home visit by the teacher. (See Corrective Actions)
Grading Policy: Edgewood Independent School District sets the grading policy as follows:
1st – 4th Nine Weeks Grades
2nd Semester Grades
Assignments: The class will be doing a variety of assignments related to Earth science and will focus on the CSCOPE curriculum and teacher/district created lab activities and assignments:
(1) Daily Warm Ups
(2) Class Notes
(3) Lab Experiments including Lab Reports
(4) Science Fair Projects: Group/ Individual
(5) Vocabulary tasks
(6) Group work
(7) Quizzes and Unit Assessments
(8) Interactive Notebook: Students will maintain a section in their science folder for vocabulary. Most assignments and foldables® will be attached to the interactive notebook. The Interactive Notebook will contain the majority of class assignments. If the student should lose the Interactive Notebook, he or she is responsible for recreating the notebook in its entirety. Students will also use their interactive notebooks to record data and other lab notes.
This is a brief synopsis of our 8th grade Science course. It will be challenging and exciting work that will lead to your success in the 2013 8th grade Science STAAR Test! My goal for you is to become a knowledgeable individual in the field of science.