What Rights & Services do Homeless Students Receive?
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.
- Right to attend the school origin or the local school.
- Be enrolled in school immediately, even if lacking paperwork normally required.
- Receive transportation to and from their school of origin.
- Receive preschool services, free school meals, services for English language
learners, special education, Title I services, vocational/technical education, gifted
and talented services, and before and after-school care, as needed.
- Go to school with children who are homeless. Students can not be separated from
the regular school program because they are homeless.
- Get information and referrals from local liaisons, including information about all
available educational programs; information for parents on how they can support
their children's education; and referrals to health, mental health dental, and other
- Have the opportunity to meet the same high academic achievement standards as