What is the Definition of Homeless?
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Act defines homeless as individuals lacking a fixed, regular, and adequate residency.
- Fixed: Stationary, permanent, not subject to change
- Regular: Used on a regular (nightly) basis
- Adequate: Sufficient for meeting both the physical and psychological needs typically met in home environments.
If any on the three conditions is missing, the child is considered homeless.
If you live in one of these situations, your student can enroll in school immediately, even lacking the below listed paperwork:
- proof of residency;
- immunization records or a TB skin test result;
- birth certificate;
- school records; or
- legal guardianship papers.