PBiS and Champs
Gardendale Elementary implements PBiS and Champs. The purpose is to ensure effective school-wide and classroom management plans to prevent misbehavior and help students become increasingly respectful, responsible, motivated and highly engaged in instructional activities.
- The goal of the discipline and classroom management plan is to empower all staff at Gardendale Elementary School to create a “Safe, Civil and Productive School.”
- “CHAMPS” is the behavior management system for the school and all school staff will be trained, and will fully implement the program.
- In order to continuously support our students, Gardendale staff will follow the STOIC Method in implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of the program. STOIC is an adjective meaning “tending to remain unemotional, showing patience, and endurance in the face of adversity.” The STOIC Method implements five variables:
- STRUCTURE (organize) your classroom to prevent misbehavior.
- TEACH your expectations regarding how to be successful within the structure you have created. (CHAMP it out)
- OBSERVE whether students are meeting expectations. (Monitor!)
- Use proximity, circulate, visually scan, and use meaningful and engaging instructional practices.
- INTERACT positively with students. Provide frequent non-contingent attention to build relationships. Provide age appropriate feedback to acknowledge students’ effort to be successful.
- CORRECT misbehavior fluently (briefly, calmly, consistently, immediately, and (as much as possible, privately)
- Be Safe
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible