What is the Work Experience Class?
The Work Experience Class is an individualized instructional setting that provides services through paid employment. The primary goal of this class is to provide” hands-on” training and work experience.
1. Expectations: Please initial acknowledgement: _________________(Parent & Student)
a) Be at least 16 years of age
b) Present an original Social Security Card or other form of employment documentation
Vocational Adjustment Coordinator
c) Follow all school policies
d) The teacher will meet with the student each week to review work schedule and
e)Students cannot be on campus during VAC release timewithout prior approval from
VAC Coordinator, sub-school or monitor teacher. An example of this may be –
f) Follow all company rules and policies.
g) Review -http://www.part-time-jobs-for-students.net/student-employment-responsibilities.html
h) Maintain employment at an approved work site and work 5 hours a week per # of
class periods scheduled as VAC.
3 classes = 15 hours per week
4 classes = 20 work hours per week
i) VAC student is responsible for transportation to and from work.
2. Grading: Off-Campus Portion -Please initial acknowledgement: ___________________(Parent &
a) Weekly work schedules and Pay Stubs are worth one daily grade each week.
b) Coordinator’s Evaluation is worth one test grade per nine weeks.
c) Employer Evaluations are worth two test grades per nine weeks.
**Students who are fired from their job will have 25 points deducted from
their total grade point average for that nine-week time period.
3. Problems:Please initial acknowledgement: _____________________ (Parent & Student)
· Contact your teacher / VAC to discuss any work-related or classroom problems.
4. Job Changes:Please initial acknowledgement: ______________________ (Parent & Student)
a) Provide job search documentation (a minimum of 5 contacts per week).
b) Secure a new job in place before quitting present job.
c) Provide two (2) weeks written notification to present employer and give a copy to your teacher.
1. Time Limit:Please initial acknowledgment: _______________________(Parent & Student)
· Student has two (2) weeks to find paid employment.
2. Assignments and Grades: Please initial acknowledgment :________________( Parent & Student)
a) Student will meet with teacher / VAC during periods of instructional placement
assigned to the Work Experience Class.
b) Thus, the student will remain on campus with the VAC in the classroom – until
b) Alternate assignments may be given as additional daily grades.
4. Consequences: Please initial acknowledgment :_______________( Parent & Student)
a) If no job search documentation is provided and the student declines to work with the
VAC instructor to find successful employment, student will fail all Work Experience
Classes for the nine-week time period.
b) The above failure may affect the student’s graduation requirements.
c) Because course credit is based upon attendance, a student is unlikely to have an
approved schedule change out of the work program. Other elective classes have
course attendance requirements – new electives classes cannot begin after the
second week of school.
Student Signature ____________________________Date: _______
Parent’s Signature ____________________________Date: _______
JF Kennedy/Memorial High Schools