January 5, 2013
Dear Parent or Guardian,
As administrators, we are charged with the safety and well-being of all our Edgewood students and staff. To help ensure the safety of our campuses, the District is implementing new identification badges. While on campus, all students, teachers, staff and visitors will be required to wear the new identification badge. This system will assist the District in maintaining the security of the buildings and their occupants while prohibiting unauthorized visitors. Students will receive their new identification badges next week, please take some time to familiarize yourself with the following new procedures:
1. Upon enrollment each year, students will be issued their student identification badge, free of charge.
2. The student’s identification badge will serve as their official student activity card and must be carried by the studentat all times while on campusand off campus while attending school functions during the school day. Failure to follow this procedure shall result in parent/guardian notification and may result in disciplinary action depending on the frequency and circumstances of the infraction.
3. All identification badges must be clearly visible and worn with a District issued lanyard. If a student is wearing a jacket, the lanyard must be on the outside of the jacket.
4. Upon request, students will be required to present their badge to any administrator, staff member or authorized representative of the District.
5. Identification badges will be issued at no cost the first time a student registers each year. Students enrolled in6th through 12th gradewill be charged a $5.00 replacement fee to replace a lost identification badge. Students that withdraw and return to the Districtduring the same school yearwill be charged a replacement fee of $5.00 unless the student has a current identification badge.
6. Students may be asked to produce their identification badge in order to purchase tickets to school events, to be admitted to a school function, or to vote in a student election.
7. Student badges will be required for lunch, to check out library books, for participation in after-school campus activities, and for the administration of prescription medications by the School Nurse.
8. Homeroom / 1stperiod teachers will check that all students have their identification badge with them daily.
9. If a student comes to school without an ID badge, they will be given a temporary replacement badge for the day. The replacement badge will be returned at the end of the school day.
10. For PK, K and 1st grade students ONLY: Teachers will distribute student identification badges in the classroom every morning. The teacher will collect all badges at the end of the school day.
11. Replacement cards will be created on one designated day each week. One day a week, the campus librarian or a designee will make badges for new students and for students who need replacement badges.
We understand that this system is something new and will require an adjustment. Thank you in advance for your support of this initiative as we work to keep our students safe while in school. Please ensure that your child wears their identification badge to school each day. Please contact your campus administrator if you have any questions.
Dr. Jose A. Cervantes
Superintendent of Schools