Expository Thinking Guide
Title of the SelectionRoberto Clemente By Christine King Farris
Genre: Biography Topic of Selection
Name of the noteworthy person, animal or thing
Main Idea of Selection
Roberto Clemente was the greatest all-around baseball player of his time
Main Idea of Each Paragraph
A. Introduction to the Noteworthy Person
C. Education, Training or Development
D. Significant Events
Use biography outline to predict the main idea of each paragraph.
1. The author introduced Roberto Clemente as a little boy from Puerto Rico with a fever to play and win at baseball.
2. Roberto was very poor but made what he needed to play baseball.
3. He made his way up to professional. (Implied idea)
4. He was invited to play in the major leagues in America.
5. Sent to play a losing team, the Pittsburgh Pirates.
6. Pittsburgh was very different for Clemente.
7. Announcer even stubbles to pronounce his name.
8. Name pronunciation and he introduces himself with smacking his first pitch
9. Clemente beat the throw to first base.
10. People begin to ask about Clemente
11. To Pittsburgh fans Clemente was like a jolt of electricity.
12. Playing right field, he had no equal
13. Clemente was cool.
14. Twisting move with his neck
15. Clemente felt that you should try as hard as you can
16. Clemente helped the last-place Pirates beat the NY Yankees in the World Series.
17. He walked unnoticed in the celebrating crowd