Our History
HB Gonzalez
Our school is proudly named after United States Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez. A strong personality who has received national attention for his various crusades, Henry González was the first Hispanic Representative from Texas, and has served in Congress longer than any other Hispanic. He was born Enrique Barbosa González in San Antonio, Texas on May 3, 1916. His parents, Leonides González Cigarroa and Genoveva Barbosa Prince de González, fled to San Antonio from the state of Durango in northern Mexico during the Mexican Revolution in 1911. Leonides González had served as mayor of the town of Mapimi, Durango in Mexico. Henry González attended public schools and graduated from Jefferson High School in 1935. More.... 
 
 
 
 
  • 1967- Groundbreaking ceremony at Edgewood Independent School District's newest elementary
  • 1968- Henry B.Gonzalez Elementary School is dedicated. School namesake, Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez is present for the school dedication.
  • 1969- Grand Opening of Henry B. Gonzalez Elementary at 2803 Castroville Rd.; Portrait of Henry B. Gonzalez is presented to
    H. B. Gonzalez Elementary
  • 2005-2006- Reached Exemplary status as per TEA ratings
  • 2006-2007- a TEA Exemplary campus
  • 2007-2010- a TEA Recognized campus
  • 2010-2011- a TEA Acceptable campus
  • 2011-2012 - a TEA Acceptable campus
  • 2012-2013 - a TEA Improvement Required

Last Modified on September 26, 2013